About Westborough Community Land Trust
Introducing the Westborough Community Land Trust
To safeguard land to meet the environmental, recreational, agricultural, and scenic needs of the Town of Westborough and to preserve open space and the natural character of the land.
The Westborough Community Land Trust (WCLT) is a private, nonprofit organization created by Westborough residents in 1997 as a response to the increasing development pressures that are rapidly restricting the town’s ability to protect essential natural resources, preserve open space for future generations, and meet current recreation needs.
WCLT achieves its mission by the acquisition and stewardship of land, by educational activities and encouragement of environmental study and research, and by vigilance in regard to potential threats to waterways, aquifers, and watersheds.
How can Westborough’s open space be protected?
In the past decade, half of Westborough’s usable open space has been developed. If we do not act now, within the next ten years, all of the remaining open space will be developed, and Westborough’s rural character will be irrevocably lost.
The best way to preserve open space is to own the land or secure conservation easements rights for it. As a nonprofit organization, WCLT can receive gifts of land or purchase open space or conservation rights. WCLT can negotiate with landowners and developers to achieve balanced growth and can raise funds for land acquisition.
What does WCLT do to protect land in its trust?
WCLT is committed to stewarding the land in its trust. Our volunteer members design and maintain trails and monitor lands under our protection to foster positive public use of open space.
- Conservation of more than 173 acres of land in its trust
- Trail maintenance and construction
- Stenciling storm drains to protect aquifers
- Maps of the Charm Bracelet and other Westborough trails
- Volunteer and Eagle Scout projects, such as kiosks, signage, walkways
- At Town Conservation Areas
- Butterfly Garden
- Wildflower Survey
- Bird Survey
- At Hero Property
- Nature Walk Trail
- Leaders of Westborough Walks
- Family Nature Talks
- “WCLT Nature Notes” in the Westborough News
- Projects with the High School Environmental Club
- Training of Trail Teachers
- Annual Earth Day events and Town-wide Cleanup
- Introduction of WCLT website: www.westboroughlandtrust.org
- Ongoing efforts to preserve open space
- Public education about water source protection
- Distribution of materials on land protection and recycling
- With Open Space Preservation Committee, completion of more than 20 miles of the Charm Bracelet
- With the Selectmen to steward Headwaters Conservation Area
- With the School System to create outdoor educational programs.
- With neighboring environmental groups to clean streams and clear trails.